About the association

The purpose of the museum association
  • to preserve s / s Ejdern as a communication historical monument.
  • to preserve the ship as a living museum.
  • to preserve old professions.
  • to carry out trips for the public to various destinations.
 
Membership

The association needs many members to be able to continue with its activities. So we need you as a member. Annual fee Adults SEK 200 Family SEK 300

NOTE! Membership in our association does not imply any obligations, but is a good basis for our business. You then support EJDERN financially and help to preserve her. In addition to this pleasant feeling, members receive additional benefits: timetables sent home by post, the information sheets TRYCKSAKEN and EJDERN-TELEGRAFEN, invitations to member meetings, the opportunity to participate in special member trips to unusual destinations.

Active member

Anyone who wants can also help the association and EJDERN more tangibly with crafts on board during the winter season or as a crew during the voyages or with office work. Write a line on the bankgiro phone or come to us sometime!

Activities

Members' work on board (renovation and crew)
Travel for the public
Member travel
Holiday trip for active members

Economy

The association's income comes mostly via:

Income from arranged travel
Municipal grants
Membership fees
Souvenir sales
Gifts and grants

Chartra S / S Ejdern

It is possible to charter the steamer Ejdern!

In addition to the regular steamboat program, it is possible to charter the steamship Ejdern. Ejdern is ideal for shorter boat trips for companies, associations or organizations.

The association's board

The board consists of:

Sven-Erik Lennborg (Chairman)
Sven Hjelm (Vice Chairman)
Jan Fagerström (Treasurer)
Claes H Nygårdh
Inger Blid
Marie Bladh
Gunnar Larsson
Alexander Saviharju
Deputies
Pia Fahlqvist Larsson
Lars-Inge Karlsson

ADDRESS & TELEPHONE mm
Address: Museiföreningen Ångfartyget Ejdern, Saltsjögatan 9, 151 71 Södertälje
Telephone: Föreningslokalen 08 550 110 20
Phone: The ship 070 363 00 23
Mail: click here
Bankgiro 826-8302

Information

If you want more information about the association, you can call our office, 08-550 110 20. The safest way to reach us is on weekdays at 09.00-13.00 when the office is staffed or a regular letter to: Museiföreningen Ångfartyget Ejdern, Saltsjögatan 9, 151 71 Södertälje
E-mail to Ejdern's office, click here

About the ship

A little history

The propeller ship Ejdern was decommissioned on 14 May 1880. She is one of Sweden's oldest preserved steamers of the archipelagos' typical passenger boats. She was built for Göteborgs Nya Ångslupsaktiebolag for the inner archipelago. The word propeller had not yet come into general use, and to distinguish it from the wheel steamers she was given the nickname "screw". The type is called "one and a half deck" or steamship vessel and was used almost as a ferry between the islands. At first, there was a mast for support sails and several sailing ship-like deckhouses on the hull, which is of the mower type: Passengers, at most 150, could choose from the comfort in two classes. Post office no. 79 was set up in the expedition on intermediate decks, with the possibility of shredding stamps. However, the eider and her sister ship soon became too small. In 1900 and 1905 she operated the Kinda Canal, but was apparently not considered suitable in the properties for such speed.

Södertälje Ångslups AB bought her for traffic on Lake Mälaren and Saltsjön as Mörkö-Trosa or Havsbadet. When the steam locomotive company considered that the profitability was too low in the 20s, the ship's captain, engineer and helmsman bought Ejdern and continued for about thirty years. Many are the barges that she dragged across Björkfjärden to, for example, Saltsjökvarn.

The city of Södertälje sent the children on swimming courses at Havsbadet. But in 1957 there was too little traffic and the city bought the ship from the three faithful servants and put her in the bay of Maren as a patisserie and waffle factory. It worked for a while, but Ejdern's condition and the new central bridge changed the situation. The local history museum was offered to take Ejdern to Torekällberget or save a house. After much hesitation, however, it was the house that came up there plus parts of the Eider, such as the wheelhouse and engine. Wing-broken and severely vandalized, she was laid in the harbor with a decision to be sunk in Landsortsdjupet. On the same day in 1964 that she was to be towed there, Gert Ekström called the port office unaware of the decision and after a quick consideration and a moment of persuasion, she was left as a gift by the Port Authority. The new hometown was Stockholm. The renovation began immediately. About two years of leisure work for about ten people was required on the first stage with a diesel engine. It was in 1967 that TV used her in the film "Hemsöborna". The second stage, to restore her with steam drive, has taken another three years. Then the ship has also been approved by the ship inspection for passenger traffic again. The costs must be kept down, as the transformation has taken place with only private capital. The wheelhouse and aft saloon have been reconstructed, the deckhouse and wheelhouse have been repaired and everything has been painted not just once just to name a few. Two yards have carried out the hull work. The eider is now restored to the condition it was around 1900 in all respects. This museum ship has been rescued on private initiative to show a vivid picture of a means of transport, which maintained the so important local maritime communications.

Thanks to the association's extremely committed work, Ejdern has operated Södertälje's waters every summer since 1976. From the 1984 season, Ejdern is again coal-fired, which makes her quiet and gives a special steamboat atmosphere. Passengers get the feeling of an old classic steamboat trip.

Technical data
  • Hull: Dimensions: Length 22 meters, Width 4.2 meters, Depth loaded 2.02 meters. Steel hull, reinforced for ice-going. The propeller is 4 bladed with a diameter of 1.4 meters.
  • Main machine: Compound steam engine, manufactured in 1880, with jet condenser, cylinder diameters 216 resp. 432 mm, stroke 222 mm. 65 indicated horsepower at 120 rpm.
  • Lighting machine: Piston steaming machine, 1-cylinder, with 2 hp power at 600 rpm.
  • Pumps: 1 steam-powered piston pump for feed water and draining resp. flushing via hose.
  • Boiler: Scottish steam boiler, manufactured in 1943, with a fire tube, coal fired, working pressure 7 - 10 kg / cm2. During normal operation, a coal consumption of about 60 kg / h.
  • Fuel: coal
  • Max speed: 8 knots
  • Safety crew: Captain, Machinist and Jungman.
  • Number of passengers: 90. Maximum 93 people on board.
en_GBEnglish (UK)
Powered by TranslatePress »